Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Bushfire season already....

So this week has been a bit hectic... bush fires are popping up everywhere around us, and we are right at the back of a big reserve.

Since its just coming out of winter everything is still dead, the temperatures have gotten over 35 pretty much all week, idiot 11 year olds are out there purposefully setting fires to get attention, people are losing their homes..... and we are all just praying it rains soon..





 And no... none of these have filters on them. These were taken out the front of my house from a fire at Eastern Creek, which is literally just about 10 minutes up the road from us.




It is a very scary time and now there is talk of a "Mega fire"... a 300k wall of fire headed towards the western suburbs from the Blue Mountains.... this actually worried Lewy, so now we have an emergency bag packed by our front door, with all our important documents and photos as well as things for the dogs.... cant forget my fur babies in a crisis!

Not wanting to freak any one out too much we have also done some more work on our kitchen! We have almost painted all the walls, got everything sanded down and ready to go, all we have left now is the counters, tiles, and top cabinets to go.

Today I cleaned the ceiling in the kitchen so we can paint it white again. I was dripping sweat by the end of it all, but I cleaned it to the best of my abilities you would think it had never seen a good cleaning before though... I did almost fall off the ladder so I have decided to never do it again while no one is home with me.

While I was cleaning I made some brownies!
preheat your oven to 180C
1. melt 16 tablespoons of butter in a dish, stir in 1 cup icing sugar and 1 cup brown sugar and stir until smooth.
2. Add 4 eggs, one at a time stirring after each one until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
3. Sift in 3/4 cup of cocoa powder, and 2 cups of plain flour and mix very well.
4. add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and stir well.
5. line a deep tray with baking paper and pour in mixture.
6. bake for 30 minutes checking to make sure it is cooked through by inserting a toothpick or wooden skewer into the center and it comes out clean. (If it is not clean leave to cook for 10 minutes longer)
7. Leave to cool completely in the dish before removing.
8. cut into small squares and dust with cocoa powder before serving.

Just a tip though, make sure and use plain flour for the whole thing, I used half self raising flour because I ran out of plain and it came out more like a cake than brownies..... still tasty but more spongey.

I hope you have all had a good week, and to all my Aussie readers please be safe with all these fires, have a plan in case of emergency! And please dont forget your animals!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment